Monday, February 28, 2011

Fiddlehead Fever


I have finished my sewing project and today I am indulging in some clay playtime. I get lots of requests for these little fiddlehead pins and necklaces so I am gearing up for the spring rush.
For those unfamiliar with fiddleheads:

Fiddleheads, an early spring delicacy in Maine, are the young coiled leaves of the ostrich fern. Ostrich fern fiddleheads, which are about an inch in diameter, can be identified by the brown papery scale-like covering on the uncoiled fern, as well as the smooth fern stem, and the deep ”U”-shaped groove on the inside of the fern stem. They emerge in clusters of about three to twelve fiddleheads each on the banks of rivers, streams, and brooks in April and May. You must cook fiddleheads thoroughly before consuming them.

With another 9" of snow arriving today, it seems these tasty treats will be hibernating underground a few more weeks.... I am anticipating the spring day when the first bag of fiddleheads are dumped into my extra large sink for the 3 or 4 washings before cooking. Spring will truly be here!

2 comments:

Carla said...

wow! I had no idea they were edible. your clay creations are awesome!

The Folk Art Tree said...

Well, the CLAY ones aren't exactly edible! :)
The real ones are so delicious! I feel pretty lucky to live where they grow.